Mold can cause serious respiratory health issues, in addition to being unsightly. Keep your home clean and healthy by following these preventative maintenance guidelines:
- Use adehumidifier in humid climates and/or in basements.
- Keep yourhome cool.
- Don’t leavewater standing anywhere in the home or near the home.
- Useventilation fans in the bathroom during and after showers and baths.
- Use ventilation fans in thekitchen while cooking.
- Use your nose: If you suspect a moldy odor, see if mold is hiding under carpets or behind walls.
- Check regularly for leaksin plumbing, roofs, ceilings and walls. Correct the problem immediately.
- Make sure yourdryer is vented to the outside.
- Vacuum frequently, since mold spores are microscopic and can be housed in dust that forms in your home.
If you have minor mold problems on a non-porous surface like bathroom or kitchen tiles, you can easily treat it with a mild bleach solution or vinegar. Minor carpet mold can be treated with baking soda or professional cleaning. Just make sure you locate and solve the source of the mold problem, as well.
Drywall mold is another story. Since it cannot be cleaned, it must be removed and replaced.